Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Under The Influence

A couple weeks ago I posted a notice about the local high school putting on a play entitled "Under The Influence". After the school play in the foyer of the auditorium there is going to be an event for everyone that provides just about any type of resource that someone might need if addiction has touched their lives in some way.

At first I was excited about this; being ask to be a part of this event by the sponsoring teachers but I was secretly hoping I wasn't going to be the only one standing by a table in a lonely school hallway.

Wonderful news to report. The response has been great. I got an e-mail from Ms. Knowles telling me here's what is lined up so far:

Standup Parenting, a fellow parent of an addict in KC area.

First Call (National Council on Alcoholism & Drug Dependence) - Providing flyer's, posters, and a representative/booth for each performance.

Valley Hope Association, Alcohol and Drug Treatment Services.

Al-Anon and Ala-Teen - Representatives/booth at each performance.

Regional Prevention Center of Johnson, Leavenworth & Miami Counties -Sending flyer's, posters, and support material.

The Partnership At Drugfree.org - A Parent Ambassador and informational handouts.

An Addict In Our Son's Bedroom - Dad, Mom and at least one sister will be there.

To me this seems to be making itself into a wonderful event. I don't know of anyone else doing something like this, has anyone heard of this before? I so hope this isn't the first time for something like this in a school. If anyone knows of something like this please let me know I'd love to hear about it.

In addition our local weekly newspaper has interviewed Ms. Knowles for an article to be published before the events. I hope that helps attendance.

Mom and I decided this is a very worthwhile endeavor. We even ordered our own table banners and professional business cards from a local printer for this event.

Wish us luck. The countdown is on. The school is out for spring break this week and the first performance is on Thursday evening the week they return. Anyone that wants to attend: March 31, April 1 & 2 at 7pm at Basehor Linwood High School. See you there!

3 comments:

Annette said...

Can I share this with our high school principal?

Dad and Mom said...

Sure, share with anyone.

beachteacher said...

What a great idea !