Thursday, March 10, 2011

Affected People

I spent time the last couple weeks speaking to students about our family experience and how drugs and addiction affects a person and all of those loved ones surrounding the addicted.

Hopefully this is a message that many can take to heart as they enter the time of becoming an adult and facing choices that have the potential of catastrophic results. As I interact with these young people they remind me a very special message. As much as we parents suffer with an addicted child there younger siblings and friends that hurt and suffer with this pain without an understanding as much as we do as parents.

Many students after the presentations came up to me and spoke of brothers, sisters, cousins, relatives and friends afflicted with this disease. The told me of the pain and frustration they feel about an addicted loved one. Sometimes it is easy to be consumed by our own grief about the situation of our own child but this reminds me that these young people are trying to process life with this disease without the life learning we have has as adults.

Following the presentation I tell everyone that there is a stack of business cards on a stool in the back of the room, they have my name, phone number, e-mail and blog address, feel free to take as many as you want. I make no judgements, so many students quietly walk back to that stool and pick up a card, I hope it helps and they find whatever it is they need.

10 comments:

Annette said...

What a GIFT you are to these kids! Really Ron...you might be the ONLY extended hand they see. I am SO thankful that you are out there doing this.

Bar L. said...

Ditto what Annette said!! This is the perfect example of someone turning a negative into a positive.

sydney said...

Do you receive much follow up correspondence?

Dad and Mom said...

sydney,

in the past the teacher has shared some of the discussions they have had in the classroom and privately with students. you can find that info back in my blog. i have posted her e-mails and things she has shared.

Lori said...

I think I worry most about my two younger children. Their brother hurt them and their dad and I hurt them by not protecting them better in the beginning of this madness.

Tori said...

I am so glad you spoke about what happens to the younger children. My younger son is proof that they can easily get lost.

D. said...

Well done. My husband and I work in a middle school and sometimes share our story with our students. We are also pursuing the idea of starting a support group in our community for parents and friends of addicts. There is much we can do to reach out, educate, and comfort one another. Thanks for sharing.

Cadan Henry said...

Just found your blog. I have been going through this with a family member for some time now. It is so frustrating because all I see is the waste.

Cadan

Dad and Mom said...

Caden,

Welcome, you find a lot of good people in our blogging community concerning those dealing with addiction of a loved one.

Syd said...

I am glad that you do this. If it helps just one kid, it is so worth it.