Monday, April 6, 2009

A New Person To Help

When I got home tonight there was a message on our machine that our son had missed his appointment with his probation officer. He had left a message with his phone number and a request for him to check in. Needless to say if you are in jail it's hard to check in with a probation officer in a different jurisdiction.

Right or wrong I called the probation officer and informed him of our son's situation. He thanked me and we hung up. After thinking a while I called him back and ask him if he was interested helping. He was very agreeable and helpful. I filled him in with the entire history. He was very thankful. I told him of the difficulty getting into an Oxford House or any type of CLE. He said have your son check in as soon as he is released and schedule a visit. He also offered to call any Oxford House that is interviewing him and provide a recommendation. He also wanted to know if it was OK to call me and work together with me to help him.

I usually stay out of his business but maybe this time it will help, or who knows. I am glad I called.

7 comments:

Bar L. said...

Sometimes we all need help. I am glad you made that call.

Athena said...

Excellent way to help - I'm glad you called him back, too

Anonymous said...

Smart thinking! Sometimes all we need to do is just ask...

mother of drug addict said...

I would have and have done the same thing. Don't second guess yourself. Your doing great!!

Annette said...

Right or wrong...sometimes we do what we have to do as a parent. I call those kinds of calls "nudges" of help. I'm not blasting in taking over, but I am putting the need out there and making it known. You have to follow your intuition. Now it will be up to your son to follow up with a phone call when he gets out. Once he's out, the ball is back in his court.

clean and crazy said...

this is awesome news, by the way, i have an award for you on my blog, stop by and check it out.

Her Big Sad said...

I would have done that also - it may have provided much needed insight to the probation officer. Its hard to know what to do sometimes, but I think this was a "follow your heart" moment.... Thank you for your recent comments; I value the input! :)