Tuesday, January 27, 2015

January 20, 2009

I just read that Annette posted about her hitting the mark of 800 blog posts. Congratulations Annette, thank you for sharing your life and wisdom.

Her post made me remember that my blog recently celebrated an anniversary. On January 20, 2009 I began writing this blog.

When I think back I recall why I began writing. I began writing because there was nothing left for me to try. I had gone to counseling, rehab, gone to Nar-Anon, NA, AA, and Al-Anon meetings, I had talked to friends and talked, screamed and cursed at my beautiful wife, nothing worked for ME. I began writing to save my life.

The lesson learned for me was that each of us must keep working to find our own answers for ourselves. Writing was my answer.

Six years later, thank you all for reading. Thank you all for commenting. I owe you all a debt that can never be repaid.

There are people reading this blog since I began writing. I know there are parents just now finding that they are not alone in this terrible journey. For all of us we do what we must and hope that peace can find us in some way. I hope that in some way I have shared my experiences that have helped someone.

I don't know what the future holds. Today my son is clear and sober. There was a day when we did not believe there was hope. Do not write the end of the story until the story is finished.

Where there is life there is hope.

3 comments:

DDD said...

I can so relate to this post, Ron. I feel the same way about my blog. It was so therapeutic for me. Glad we are both in the same boat today. And the boat isn't sinking!

Tori said...

Writing and reading other blogs like yours saved me too. I sure didn't think when I started writing so many years ago I would still be here - it has brought me so much comfort though.

So grateful for your wisdom.

Syd said...

Me too, Ron. I started because I was a mess. My first year in Al-Anon was hard, trying to deal with the resentment and the anger that I had. What a journey! I am glad to still be reading here and to still be writing occasionally. Life is good these days. I don't feel so compelled anymore.