Last night we spent 3.5 hours in the emergency room. Our son overdosed. This time it was codeine.
Mom has been sick for about a month. A severe sinus infection and it had migrated to her lungs and she had bronchitis. She went to the doctor twice in the last two weeks. That indicates how bad she was, if the coroner was standing over her body she would be saying she would be saying, its' OK, just give m time I'll get better on my own, I don't need a doctor. So she must really have been feeling bad. The doctor prescribed antibiotics the first time. The second time he prescribed a stronger antibiotic plus 400 ml bottle of cough syrup with a high concentration of codeine.
Thursday late night Alex came home and spent the night. Mom took all of her medicine to bed that night. Then took it to work on Friday. When mom came home Friday she needed to take her medicine and brought it in to take some. We ate dinner and mom went to change clothes. During that time Alex took 200 ml of that cough syrup. We didn't know it and he ask to be taken back to his girlfriends. Mom took him and when she got back about one hour later we discovered he had taken the cough syrup, and his girlfriend called and said that Alex was acting strange did we know what was up? We told her about the cough syrup.
I called the poison control center and gave them his size and history along with the info on the cough syrup bottle. They input the info and the person's response was, "Oh my, you need to get him to the emergency room immediately. He has nearly twice the dosage in him in which we recommend a doctor's treatment." She said he could possibly die from this dosage plus we didn't know if he had anything else in him.
We went to the Lawrence Memorial Emergency Room and his sister, who is a nurse found fresh new track marks in his arm.
He was released and went home with girlfriend.
What a mess.