As the parent of an addict where do we turn for our crisis? What do we do when you don't know what to do? Where is our first aid? Who comes to us with lights flashing, sirens screaming and emergency technicians?
Our help is left to us. It's up to us to seek our own treatment, diagnose, what is hurting us and then prescribe our own treatment. Who has a first aid kit for parents of an addict hanging on their wall? Has anyone even seen one before? I haven't seen one yet so I thought maybe we should create our own.
If I had to create my own first aid kit for parents of addicts here are some of the things I would stock.
- A list of things that no matter what bring joy in my life.
- Phone numbers of people that have walked in my shoes that never turn off their phone.
- Pictures of me in my lifeboat.
- Emergency phone numbers of help lines that can help me or my child.
- Probably a piece of chocolate.
- Six inspirational sayings or quotes that speak to me deep inside each time I see them.
- Reminders: take a deep breath, it's OK to cry, you are not alone, the sun will rise again in the morning.
- A list of people that love me unconditionally, that know I need them and they don't judge me.
These are some things I would consider essential in a first aid kits for the parent of an addict. What have I forgotten? What else would you add the the kit?