Monday, July 18, 2016

Speed of Light Back in Time

(please click on pic to read the sign)

On my way to the lake today I took a different route through Sedalia, MO. It's a bit longer but I just wanted different scenery. Driving through Sedalia on US Highway 50 this sign was in a yard of a house. 

At my first opportunity I made a U-turn. Pulling into the driveway I didn't know exactly what I was going to say but I knew I had to say something. Walking slowly to the front door I worked up the courage and rang the bell then knocked on the door. No one was home. I stood there for a second but felt like I couldn't leave. Walking into the front yard I took this picture.

I still couldn't leave without saying something to the people that posted this sign. Was it their daughter? Was it a friend? Was it a wife? Was she a mother? I didn't know but I knew they cared VERY much for this person and she must have been loved VERY much.

Searching through my truck I could not find a pad of paper. The best I could do was an old envelope from a boat registration. I began writing. It was hard to string words together but I wanted them to know how much good they were doing for others with this sign. Removing the stigma is the first step in the battle to help others.

I wrote till I ran out of paper. Then I took one of the business cards I make available at my talks and I took one of my Partnership at Drugfree Kids cards and wedged them all in the back door.

As I backed out onto the busy highway my stomach was in knots and my heart was hurting, not from the traffic. Driving east on Highway 50 a few miles I was still sad until a tear feel down my cheek for this poor girl.

The realization that on this day I am the luckiest parent in the world struck home. I could have had a sign like this in my yard, but I don't. My son is in recovery today and every day I AM the luckiest father on Earth.

It is sad, but with people like these it gives me hope and confidence that one day we will slay the monster.

4 comments:

Cathy Taughinbaugh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy Taughinbaugh said...

Wow, that is amazing that a family posted the sign in their front yard. What courage to share the truth. We truly need more light on addiction and what it is doing to our kids. I'm blessed as well that my kids are moving forward, however it breaks my heart to think about all the loss. Thanks for posting the picture. You are awesome Ron, to want to leave a note.

beachteacher said...

Wow Ron......good on you for leaving that note. You, as well as many of the POA bloggers here KNOW the pain and shame.....although, thankfully, ...not the terrible darkness that those people know. I'm sure that you leaving that note was some bit of light of understanding and support of their horrible journey as they live with their lasting pain. I understand well what you mean about the "could have been me" regarding the sign in the yard....and the incredulity that it's not and the resulting gratitude. However, like you....I also shed tears for those still walking in the darkness of their child's (or other loved one's) addiction. It continues to haunt me for those suffering.

Unknown said...

This is a very sad post. I'm with Drug Free Lifestyle and we just launched a new article about how to stop heroin use. I hope someone out there finds some use for it and gets through their journey before it's too late. http://drugfreelifestyle.org/how-to-quit-heroin/