Thursday, February 26, 2015

School Talks

Another two days of school talks wrapped up. It is refreshing for me to do these even if it is only make believe that I am helping. But in critical reflection I believe it is making a difference.

  • Students that have heard me talk in previous years come back to listen again, to be refreshed I was told by a student.
  • Students stand up to the stigma and share what it is like for them and their families.
  • Non-student guests come in to listen and then suddenly share their story and pain opening up with strangers.

I cannot measure or gauge the impact six years of speaking to students has had on our schools, community and students. I don't know if there empirical data points I can plot. However, the anecdotal evidence is overwhelming, I have made an impact on individuals and that is the most important constituency I can touch.

You Are Not Alone, are sometimes the most important words you can say.

 
BREAKING THE STIGMA
 
BEATING THE MONSTER

2 comments:

Tori said...

I wish schools around here would be more open to having someone like you speak. For some reason no one wants to address drugs yet we have an epidemic.

I am sure you touched far more people then you ever will know.

omah poto said...

great post :)