Thursday, December 17, 2020

Is This Blog Still Relevant?

While scanning the internet to see if after over a decade my blog remains relevant I found where a student athlete in central Florida used info in my blog to write an article for the Highland News-Sun.  This article was published in the October 27, 2020 edition of the newspaper.

I am reprinting this on here for you to see. I guess maybe my blog is still relevant.


VIEWPOINTS FROM A TEENAGER

Miguel Arceo

Draw Your Line of Morality

Allow me to introduce you to Ron Grover, the father of a son who is currently recovering from a battle with drug addiction. Grover authored a blog post titled, “The Emotions I Experienced as the Parent of a Child With Addiction.” In it, he writes, “For many years, I couldn’t separate the disease in my son, from my son himself. His addiction was a personal affront that I held onto very deeply.”

Imagine, if you can, sitting through his shoes for even one day. Having to watch as your son falls victim to a terrible disease, the son that Psalm 127:3 calls, “a gift from the lord [sic].”

Barbara Hampton, a mother of a son in recovery, wrote another blog titled, “I Got My Son Back: A Mother’s Struggle with Her Son’s Addiction.” Hampton wrote, “My phone would hardly ring and I was always waiting for the one call I was so terrified to receive.”

Again, imagine thinking that every phone call you receive might be the one telling you that your child may have overdosed.

Both of these stories are nothing short of tragic and happen to thousands of families in the United States. Despite this, some supporters of President Trump are more than willing to publicly criticize Hunter Biden’s past struggles with drug addiction. Ever since President Trump exposed his past with cocaine at the first debate, supporters of his have deemed it morally right to attack Hunter Biden. There has been widespread sharing of a photo of Hunter Biden at his lowest point and many accusations. You do not have to agree with Joe Biden’s policies to publicly acknowledge that attacking his son’s past with drug addiction is way below the belt. Joe Biden is no longer just a presidential candidate, but is someone who stood in the same shoes as Ron Grover and Barbara Hampton. He is one of the thousands of people who had to bear witness to the horrible effects of drugs on a person’s life. How can you justify attacks on a drug addict’s father?

If you are able to justify these attacks, I ask you to do the same to veterans who suffer from addiction. The National Institute on Drug Abuse states, “One government report notes that more than ten percent of veteran admissions to substance use treatment centers were for heroin (10.7%), followed by cocaine at just over 6%.” Tell the parents of these brave veterans that the apple does not fall far from the tree. If you can justify the attacks on Hunter Biden, I ask that you publicly attack all the people on your Facebook profile that may be secretly fighting a battle with addiction. Tell them that their family does not deserve a new job because they are struggling with addiction.

Those willing to attack Hunter Biden’s past are those who are willing to overlook their morals and every sense of decency in their lives. No one deserves to ever be publicly shamed for a past drug addiction, regardless of what political party they may be coming from. I truly wish that you and your family never have to know what Ron Grover, Barbara Hampton, Joe Biden, or the thousands of parents of drug addicts had to endure. Drug addiction is a terrible disease that anyone can fall victim to, no matter how well you were raised. Why is it any different when you do not agree with the family of these recovered addicts?

Miguel Arceo is a student athlete at Sebring High School.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

It is very relevant. My husband and I are just beginning to understand the depth of our son's drug addiction. And we are lost. Reading what you have written and the responses from others who have been thru this has been a gift. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your journey.

Dad and Mom said...

Thank you Lisa. I am sorry that you are beginning your battle withe monster of addiction. You are not alone, if you need to talk e-mail me.

Bar L. said...

Your blog will always be relevant. Your words helped me through some very dark times.

loved ones of addicts said...

Thanks for this wonderful information. Keep sharing your knowledge with us.

Minajk said...

Hey! Thanks for sharing this blog. In my opinion, RECOVERY IS A FAMILY AFFAIR. The sooner you accept this truth and begin to focus on your own growth and recovery process, your own personal change, the better chance your loved one will have for a successful recovery.

Unknown said...

We are also going through this now with our son and found your blog. We are lost and this is helping to navigate and validate what we're feeling.

Unknown said...

Thank you Ron for your posts. I have been reading your "7 Truths About My Son's Addiction That Took 5 Years To Learn". I learn about my daughter's use 9 months ago. I want to wake up from this nightmare and see it is not really happening.

Unknown said...

I am just starting this battle with my son, He left lastnight ranaway at the age of 22 for a life of drugs and Alcohol, I feel lost and saddened thinking where did I go wrong, After reading your blog's I realised that it wasn't anything I have done, But my heart is broken today I hope we have a good outcome as my battle is just beginning. I will support him with love but We both need time Thankyou i feel so alone in this

Unknown said...

I can't change my daughter's use. I have been feeling so helpless. Something that I started to do very recently is to advocate against nicotine and THC use by children, which is often the starting point of addiction. There are so many things that could be done to make our kids "bulletproof" when they are still young and listen to us, before they fall prey to user friends and substance traffickers. Traffickers do not spare any efforts in making sure they will have clients hooked up for life.

We are feeling the horrible indescriptible pain of seeing how our children's potential is lost for the sake of traffickers money making. WHY ARE WE LETTING THIS GO ON AND ON???? We should be all making a lot of noise about it.
I have some suggestions. Taking action might help you cope with the heartbreak.

1- have all the pediatricians do routine urine drug screens at well check times so use can be detected as soon as possible.
2- talk to the kids when they are young, be very honest about whoat substances will do to their brains and lives.
3- Participate in as many initiatives to prevent and remediate children's substance use. I suggest American Lung Association, Parents Against Vaping E cigarrettes, and local initiatives.
4- Contact your kid's past and present principals. They are overwhelmed with problems, but this is a big and serious one. One of my kid's school principal put in place extra vigilance in bathrooms for a few days due to the Tik-Tok steal something weird challenge. But he does not do much to curb daily drug exchange and use that happens at the school.
5- Send letter to your school board members.
6- Tell your and your kid's story. It is not your fault. You should not be ashamed. Make your voice very loud. THIS IS A SYSTEMIC PROBLEM. Let's join all our efforts to combat it. There are many, many isolated groups and organizations trying to do something about substance use in children. Let's try to gather together to make our voices very loud and heard.
7- So, so many children and families are falling victim to this. This is the future being compromised. We can't allow this to happen.

FaithOverFear said...

I am so sorry you are going through this with your son. Please know that you are not alone. If this is the first time your son has ran away- he will be back. I think we all blame ourselves - I’m constantly asking myself what I could have done differently. My son, 22, has been on a long road of drug and alcohol abuse. After a family intervention, cutting off all financial support, and towing his car he agreed to go to a dual treatment facility last week. Today is day 8. He is so angry with me. I haven’t heard from him since he was admitted. He even went as far as to put me on a “do not communicate” list. So I have no updates. I pray he sticks it out. I’m hopeful that our relationship is rekindled when he is clean and sober. I try to focus on today- today he is not using- today he is safe-today my son is alive. Continue to reach out to your son. Be that constant positive force in his life. Call/text- whatever it takes. I’ll send a few extra prayers for you! 🙏🏻

kristen luna said...

I appreciate your blog. It is still relevant for me. My 21 year old son is sadly actively using. He left the rehab center he agreed to go into about 6 weeks ago and has been living with his grandparents ever since. I worry for him and my grandparents every day. This whole experience is heartbreaking. I cry every day. Your blog has been a place of support for me, it helps me feel less alone. Thank you for sharing such vulnerabilities with the world. Also, your son’s recovery is amazing…happy for him and all of you!

Jon Winter said...

Yes, this blog is still relevant. It gives us information about how a person copes with addiction recovery and how people affects someone's road to recovery. Myself was an alcoholic, and now I'm 5 years sober thanks to Transcend Recovery Community.